In order to keep your fireplace or stove operating both safely and efficiently and comply with your home insurer's mandatory requirements, it's essential that your chimney or flue is swept at least once a year by an approved sweep. Furthermore, it also prevents the build-up of soot and tar which can cause chimney fires and cause blockages that result in carbon monoxide being released into the room
Approved by The Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps
Shropshire Gas is approved by the The Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps, a trade body for UK chimney sweeps, meaning that our engineers work to a set standard, ensuring that a code of practice is adhered to and a certificate issued to prove that the work has been carried out to industry standards.
Our services include:
- Chimney sweeping
- Cowls and birdguards supplied and fitted
- CCTV surveys
- Fire installations
- Advice given
- Chimney testing
- Fire and stove repairs
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) smoke alarms supplied and fitted
- Chimney repairs
- Solid Fuel appliance servicing
Stoves / Log Burners
During the sweeping process, we'll inspect your stove, ensuring that the flue connections are clear and airtight. Depending on the condition of the flue and the amount of soot and tar present, our engineer may also be able to offer additional advice as to the correct operation of your stove. Operating the stove at too low a temperature can lead to inefficient burn and this results in increased deposits in the flue. Too hot and damage to the stove could occur, along with an increased risk of chimney fires.
About the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps
- The guild was formed to improve the standards and professionalism of the UK chimney sweeping industry ensuring the longevity of the chimney sweeping profession for chimney sweeps while safeguarding both the public and trade from the risk of chimney fires and CO poisoning.
- The Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps was established with the goal to improve standards within the industry by introducing professional training and assessment for sweeps.
- Today, the Guild is both nationally and internationally recognised for its efforts and achievements in improving standards for both chimney sweeps and their customers.
- The Guild is also a member of the 'Europaische Schornsteinfegermeister Föderation' or the European Federation of Master Chimney Sweeps (ESCHFOE). Some countries take chimney sweeping more seriously than others for example, in Germany, it is a legal requirement that chimneys are swept once a year. This has resulted in Germany having a drastically lower number of chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisonings than the UK.
- Sweeps within the UK are still not legally obliged to pursue any training or gain any qualifications in order to trade. However, for a chimney sweep to become a member of the Guild they must meet and adhere to strict criteria while also achieving the highest minimum standards in the industry.
- For chimney sweeps this means that they can provide the highest level of service to their customers while having the support and experience of a national trade organisation. Many Guild members go on to gain further qualifications within the chimney sweeping industry.
- For their customers, when they seek the service of a Guild Chimney Sweep, they can have the peace of mind knowing that they will be receiving an excellent standard of service and knowledge from a professionally registered person.